ahc logo
Communication Care Center: 866-214-3800

Skilled Nursing

What are Skilled Nursing Visits?

  • Hands on nursing services provided by a Registered Nurse (RN) or Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in a consumer’s home.
  • Skilled Nursing Visits are ordered by the consumer’s physician.
  • Skilled Nurses observe, assess, and evaluate consumer’s physical and mental state and provide health care training to consumer and family care givers when appropriate.
  • Each patient is different, however, a typical Skilled Nurse Visit is 30 min-4 hours per visit depending on physician orders.
 Common Skilled Nurse Cares:
  • Wound Care requiring sterile procedures
  • Medication Set-up
  • Medication Dispensing
  • Infusion Therapy Injection

Who can provide Skilled Nursing Visits?
  • A registered nurse (RN) or a licensed practical nurse (LPN) who is employed by a Medicare Certified home care agency.


What are Therapy Services?
  • Therapy Services includes Physical Therapy (PT), Occupational Therapy (OT), and Speech Therapy. These services are intended to help patients develop and enhance their current physical, occupational, and speech condition.
  • Therapy Services can be done in an inpatient setting, outpatient setting, or provided in the comfort of someone’s home by a qualified home care agency.
  • All therapy services must be ordered by a physician.
  • Physical Therapy – exercise programs developed and implemented by a certified Physical Therapist that help patients restore function, mobility, and overall physical fitness and health.
  • Speech Therapy – speech and hearing exercises developed and implemented by a certified Speech Therapist that help patients with speech and language disorders both short and long term.
  • Occupational Therapy – activities and exercises developed and implemented by a certified Occupational Therapist that help patients develop their sensory-motor, perceptual, and range of motion functioning so they can perform daily living skills.

Examples of when Therapy Services may be needed:
  • Regaining strength after a sports injury.
  • Helping someone with arthritis.
  • People with amputations that need to learn how to live with their prosthetic.
  • Those who have conditions that affect their muscles, bones, ligaments, or tendons.
  • People who are recovering from a hip or joint replacement.
  • Children and adults with developmental delays that need help with fine motor skills.
  • People who have suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury and need to relearn daily living skills.
  • People that have osteoporosis and need help regaining their mobility.
***Please note that these are just examples. Please consult a physician first to ensure proper orders for Therapy services are prescribed. ***

Who are qualified Therapists?
  • A Physical Therapist must be someone who has graduated from a program of physical therapy approved by both the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) and the American Physical Therapy Association or its equivalent.
  • A Speech Therapist is someone who has a certificate of clinical competence in speech-language pathology from the American Speech and Hearing Association.
  • An Occupational Therapists is someone who is certified by the National Board for Certification of Occupational Therapy.
  • All Therapists must have an up to date license filed with the states they provide services in; each state has different standards and regulations that must be followed by the licensed therapist.


What are Home Health Aides (HHAs)?
  • HHAs are individuals that are trained by qualified home care agencies to help consumers with their Activities of Daily Living; including but not limited to transferring, getting out of bed, eating, toileting, bathing, grooming, dressing, light housekeeping, etc..
  • Under the direction of a licensed health care provider; HHAs follow a specific plan of care assessed by a qualified agency and authorized by the consumer’s physician.

Who can be a Home Health Aide?
  • Home Health Aides are individuals that have been hired and trained by a Medicare Certified home care agency.
  • Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs) can also work as Home Health Aides.
 How do people pay for Home Health Services?
  • Medicare
  • State funded Medicaid and Waiver Programs: Minnesota
  • Private Insurance
  • Long term Care Insurance
  • Private pay (agency rates will vary)
  • Disease Management Groups, e.g., ALS Association
How do you find an agency that provides Home Health Services?
  • Contact your county public health nurse to get a list of qualified providers in your area and find out if you qualify for services.
  • Talk with Care Managers, Social Workers, Nursing Supervisors, Discharge Planners, or Doctors and Nurses at healthcare facilities.
  • Contact a home care agency directly.
  • Search the internet for agencies servicing your geographical area.
  • Ask people at Health Care related Support Groups.
  • Ask professionals at Disease Management Groups, e.g., Alzheimer’s Association.
  • Talk with family and friends who have used home care services before.
To find out if you qualify, contact our Customer Service Department today.
TF: 866-214-3800 or Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.